JOB DESCRIPTION: School Crossing Guard Part-time (1 contract position)
Purpose of the Position:
The School Crossing Guard shall direct and guide pedestrians (including students and youth) across streets during the school year, stopping traffic as required, in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Corporation guidelines on designated roadways.
The Crossing Guard shall provide safe crossing of roadways and model appropriate street skills and behavior for children. This shall be achieved by choosing good safe times to step into the roadway to create gaps in traffic for children to safely cross.
• To remain at designated crossing site at all times during the hours of 8:15 am to
9:15 am and 3:15 pm to 4:15 pm Monday to Friday during the school year with the exception of PA days.
• To obey all established traffic safety regulations to ensure pedestrians and children are assisted
in crossing roadways at designated locations.
• To coordinate the flow of pedestrians across selected intersection(s) with the flow of
vehicular traffic and traffic control devices (where applicable).
• To always conform to the Village of Merrickville-Wolford Code of Conduct at all times.
• To wear safety equipment (i.e.: safety vest, coat, overalls, etc.) supplied by the
Corporation of the Village of Merrickville-Wolford at all times while on duty.
• To document and report any incidents, accidents, injuries, hazards or suspicious
persons/vehicles to the Manager of Operations/ Fire Chief and to the Police.
• To have a good working knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and Occupational
Health and Safety Act as it relates to this position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ontario Secondary School Diploma is required.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Keen alertness to surroundings and an ability to follow directions and procedures.
• Ability to maintain a high degree of mental concentration, with visual and hearing ability to recognize traffic at a safe distance (approximately 300feet).
• Ability to walk pedestrians safely across busy intersections, and react safely and
decisively to traffic conditions.
• Ability to display a school crossing stop sign (weighing approximately two pounds)
in an upright position so that it is visible to vehicular traffic approaching from all
directions while extending the other arm parallel for one minute on a frequent basis.
• Physical fitness, with the ability to perform all physical requirements of the above noted employment activities.
• Ability to perform the above-noted employment activities outside in diverse weather
• Successful applicant must submit to a police vulnerable sector check and provide their own transportation to and from their post.
• Possess an excellent attitude and work ethic
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to deal with the public and respond to inquiries in a tactful and courteous
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
EQUIPMENT, MACHINES AND TOOLS USED:
Stop paddle; reflective jacket/coat; reflective overalls, rain suit; whistle; notebook and
The salary for this position is $17.72-$21.56 per hour.
Please send resume and cover letter by 4:30 p.m. Friday December 1, 2023, by email or mail to the following, and must be addressed to:
Brad Cole, Manager of Operations/Fire Chief
317 Brock St. West, P.O. Box 340 Merrickville, ON K0G 1N0
We thank all of those who apply but only the parties invited for an interview will be contacted. Information is collected in confidence under the Freedom of Information Act. The Village of Merrickville-Wolford is an equal opportunity employer.